SUKHUM -- Acting-President Valeri Bganba met Representatives of the "Council of Priests of Abkhazia", namely Zaur Chichba, Sergei Shakryl, Galter Shinkuba, Valeri Gocha and Vazber Avidzba, at their request.
They offered to hold a prayer-service in the village of Lykhny for the avoidance any acts of civil unrest in the run-up to the early presidential elections and thereafter.
"We Live in difficult times. We are servants of the people, and we want everything in Abkhazia to pass of peacefully," said the priests.
Acting-President Valeri Bganba remarked that he welcomes all actions aimed at stabilising the situation in the country. He called for discussions on the said topic with the Council of Elders of Abkhazia and with political forces.
"Elections should be held in accordance with the law. We all have a duty to support the future president, and we must stand side by side and help build the state. We have no other problem," said Valeri Bganba.
Report provided by the Information Department at the Office of the President of the Republic of Abkhazia.
- Traditions and rituals: the Abkhazian holiday of Nanhwa
- The Religious Beliefs of the Abkhasians, by N.S. Janashia & N.Y. Marr
- Ritual Folklore of the Abkhazians Salakaia, by Sh. Kh. Salakaia (1975)
- Between Christianity and Islam: Heathen Heritage in the Caucasus, by Viacheslav Chirikba
- Religion, by Rache Clogg
- The Abkhasian Name of the Supreme Being, by Simon Janashia
- The Lord’s Prayer in Abkhaz: A Comparison of Three Published Versions, by George Hewitt
- The religious situation in Abkhazia, by Aleksandr Krylov
- Secret of Abkhaz tolerance, by Alexander Krylov
- The Sacred Time of the Azhyrnyhwa Ritual, by Marina Bartsyts
- Can Abkhazian society be called religious?
- History of Christianity in Abkhazia (Documentary Film)
- The heart of the bull and the secrets of Bythi: how to dedicate to Abkhaz priests
- Amshapy - Abkhaz Easter: organizing culture practice and its archaic roots, by Valery Bigua
- The Parliament has adopted in the second reading, without the preamble, the draft law "On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Associations."